A number of years ago, I was pretty frustrated with great big pieces of my life. I had always found that sitting down with pen and paper could help me clarify my thinking, vent my frustration and sometimes in the process have moments of clarity about ways to shift my thinking in good and productive ways.
So the Observations written below, were actually aimed at someone else. They contained a large helping of anger and frustration… but an interesting thing happened as I read and re-read them. The realization of the old adage of three fingers pointing back, when you’re pointing one… combined with the idea that everything that presents in your life, is there to mirror back to you something about yourself made me go hmmmm.
- For each person, the mission is to IMPROVE YOURSELF. However, if you are focusing on all that is wrong with everyone or everything around you, you will not see the things about yourself that you could or should improve upon.
- When you start to believe that everyone you encounter in your world is a Jerk, it’s time to evaluate what you see in the mirror.
- You can never be TOO KIND or TOO GENTLE.
- If you continually push everyone in your life away from you, it will get easier and easier because they will gradually stop coming back.
- If you put down all the baggage you carry from your childhood, your children, your job, your spouse, you will probably have more energy at the end of the day to enjoy the beauty that could be your life.
- There is no situation that cannot be made worse by behaving badly about it. (THIS ONE IS MY FAVORITE!)
- If you do not begin to appreciate and respect the people in your life, and all the good in your life, you will turn into an old, bitter, sickly person who no one can stand to be around. They will choose to not be around you.
- All the ugliness that you refuse to let go of collects within you. The ugliness multiplies and festers. At some point and in some way, it has to come out. God help the person who gets to wear what comes out.
- It has been said that you will about as happy as you make up your mind to be. Those are truly words to live by. Everything in your life is a result of the choices you have made. If you do not like what you see in your life, change the way your think about your life. Examine yourself to see what you are doing, what you are choosing, what you are thinking, to invite into your path the things you find there.
And then… LET IT GO!